Saturday 19 October 2013

My favourite Possession – An Ink Pen

Those days of blue patches all over my pinafore will turn my maid, a monster. Yeah, to be appropriate, it was in my 4th grade when I became the honored owner of a brand new Camlin ink pen. Short and stout it was. I was filled with the same excitement most kids associate when receiving free toys.

Till our third grade, pens seem to be an alien to us as if they were from Mars and Venus. Writing meant, only with pencils, crayons, and sketch pens. Those were the days we really yearned to write in a pen. Writing in an ink pen meant a respect while all our juniors at school still go crap with that ever-breaking pencil needles. Those magical gadgets that glided on paper in an astonishing shade of blue, and not those grungy, forever breaking sticks called pencils. A pencil becomes an abandoned without its best friend-a sharpener.

Pens didn’t break like my pencils. It was just continuously smooth. I scrawled until all the ink in the pen had been transferred to my paper, my hands, my clothes and my face.

But it was worth it.

My out-and-out preferred though, remained the ink pen. By peer pressure I moved on to its gel ink cousins for the sake of convenience and a stain free uniform.

I’ve always thought that writing with a new ink pen, is much like making a new pal. There are some pens with which, I make a joint assembly instantly, those pens know how exactly to bring out the best in me. Those pens will last to be my favourites, the ones that I’ll take time to clean every weekend in hot water, and the ones that will write out my most important exams, and my greatest secrets. There are some other pens that will take a little longer for me to like. They misbehave most of the time, but occasionally show a good side, so that I don’t give up on them; they teach me patience.

The last time I had used an ink pen was roughly four years ago. I had stopped using them while writing harshly-timed engineering exams. I became fully dependent on the keyboard and stopped using pens altogether when I entered the corporate world.
Everytime I glide down the paper with an ink pen, I admire my own handwriting. I would hold up the paper in different angles to get different perceptions of my handwriting.

Nothing replicates the feeling of holding a pen and gliding it on a piece of paper.
There’s a simplicity in the pen and paper :)


2 comments: